Tuesday, March 23, 2010

La vie en France

I will have to keep this message short, because the French keyboard is different from the North American arrangement, so I have to chicken peck. I am currently in an internet café in Nîmes, France. I was in Genoa the 14 to the 16. On the 15, we walked along the coast, and later Erik rejoined us. We went to a German pub along with an Englishman and an Italian that we met at the hostel. From the 16 to the 19 we were in Turin. It is a beautiful city. We toured the main piazze the first night. Wednesday, we visited the Royal Palace, the tower called the "Olle," and a museum of cinema. The Englishman rejoined us at the hostel, and we went out to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. It is not a big deal in Italy it seems. Maybe because there are so few Irish-Italians. Thursday we visited the Savoy tombs and went to a jazz concert that night. They served chocolates and wine, and the musicians were great. Friday, Erik and Brenden went east to Milan while I headed west to Lyon, France. I have been doing all my traveling by train so far. Lyon was nice too. I met my friend Sherry on Saturday, and she showed me some Roman ruins and we checked out the cathedral. Later we met up with her friends and picknicked at the "Parc de la tête d'or." That night, we went to a gathering at the apartment of one of the guys she knows. There were about a dozen people there, mostly exhange students. There was a girl from Franche-Comté, the region from which my ancestor Jean-François Chassey came in the early 1700s. Sunday, Sherry and I went to mass at the cathedral. We rejoined some of her friends. went for coffee and then a sandwich. Later we went to the Musée de la Résistance et la Déportation. I used the gym at Sherry's apartment building (I don't get to do cardio often), and after we parted. I came to Nîmes yesterday, and I checked out the Parc de la Fontaine, the Tour de Magne, and a Temple of Diane. I really like the hostel here. I am able to use the kitchen and cook for myself. I made fish and salad last night. I got a long sleep last night. Today I have explored more of old Nîmes, including the Cathédrale de Notre-Dame et St-Castor, the Museum of archaeology and natural history, and the famous Arènes de Nîmes, an amphitheatre built by the Romans. Tomorrow I plan to visit Avignon for the day, and I will go to Toulouse on Thursday.
A plus tard.

No comments:

Post a Comment